Chapter Analyses

The primary text for this course is Doing Economics: A Guide to Understanding and Carrying Out Economic Research. It’s available used from Amazon or new from the publisher, CENGAGE Learning.   To order a used copy, click on the above link.  To order from the publisher, call their customer service number at 1-800-354-9706 and give them the ISBN: 0618379835 .

This book contains almost everything you need to know to complete the research project for this course. Of course, that assumes you read the book. To encourage your reading, 10% of your final grade will be given for your analysis of the text. For each chapter in the text, I would like you to submit two things to Canvas:

1. A list of anything in the chapter you don’t feel you understand, and
  2. Identification of one thing in the chapter you found most surprising or interesting.

I will make sure to spend time in class to clarify items from 1. If you don’t identify anything you don’t understand, I will assume you know the material and can explain it in class.

Each analysis will be due the night before we begin discussion in class of each chapter. The first chapter analysis will be for Chapter 2.

4 Responses to Chapter Analyses

1. Pingback: Welcome to ECON 300! at Dr. Greenlaws ECON 300

2. lizking17 says:

I thought it was interesting how a seemingly unrelated topic can be researched with economic analyses. I feel optimistic about choosing an interesting research question that I will really get involved in. I had a hard time understanding how to actually perform the analyses and find the conclusion but I’m assuming it will come later in the book. I also was wondering what sort of reading and where to pull from for my research.

3. caitlinhoch says:

I have already taken Econometrics so a lot of the information in Chapter 2 was familiar to me. However, I think choosing a research topic/question/hypothesis can be daunting and overwhelming. I found this chapter to be helpful when considering possible future research project ideas. I always thought of choosing a topic as one action instead of multiple portions.

4. tupdike says:

I have been worried about my choosing my topic for awhile (the research assignment we turned in about our ideas was indeed “tentative” for me), and the entire process as a whole seemed very daunting. The 6-step process simplifies it and makes it much easier – but I do have one question: why is there a step 3 at all? I feel as though the creation of a hypothesis, and the forming of an answer to the problem you are researching is natural, and just an auxiliary part of step 4. The most interesting part to me was how much the book focused on the “reading the literature” portion of the research process. The actual nose-in-the-book research part of big projects has absolutely always been my weak point – especially finding the sources that are reliable, and full of data.